Over the years and even today we still receive questions about which platform is better. There isn't a better as the two can't be compared side-by-side. They are completely different and solve different business requirements.
Today I wanted to take some time and briefly document some of the big differences when picking one of these types of ecommerce platforms.
Bigcommerce is a SAAS (software as a service). It shares space with platforms like Shopify, Volusion, etc. Many clients like to start here since start-up costs and continued development are generally much more affordable. These platforms also scale pretty well if revenue and traffic takes off for you.
These are the top five general "wins" for clients leaning toward platforms like Bigcommerce.
- Initial set-up is very affordable and easy to understand.
- Immediate access to a whole library of add-ons for things like shipping, tax, Amazon integration, marketing, social, etc. with a very robust API engine.
- No separate hosting fees.
- Built in network and application security.
- Ongoing support and development is more affordable.
If you would like to learn more, there are plenty of in-depth reviews regarding features, pricing and market share.
Some larger businesses according to their internal policies or requirements want to have complete ownership over the code and the database. Magento gives that to you. You can build incredibly custom sites using Magento. From downloads and bundling to award winning mobile experiences. Magento can handle all that.
These are the top five general "wins" for clients leaning toward an open-source platoform like Magento.
- Management of multiple domains/storefronts from one admin.
- Most of the time the only limitation in Magento is budget, not the code.
- Completely customized look and experience is achievable.
- Product attributes and options are very robust and scale way out for unique business needs.
- Complete ownership of the code and database. No hidden structures or "black boxes".
If you would like to learn more about Magento features, there are plenty of in-depth reviews on all the features Magento has.
Thinking about a new ecommerce venture or a move to a new platform? Make contact and we'll help guide you to one that fits best with your business needs, budget and goals.